Questions About Tooth Whitening
Tooth whitening is a cosmetic dental procedure that can be used to treat teeth that are stained or discolored and results in a younger, fresher, more beautiful smile. Prime Dental Care offers high quality, effective in-office and at-home tooth whitening solutions to the residents of Princeton and the surrounding areas. Below are some common questions and answers regarding this popular cosmetic dental procedure:
- Will whitening my teeth damage my teeth’s enamel?
- It depends on the method and the strength of the whitener used. Studies show that teeth whitening products using 10% carbamide peroxide showed little effect on the mineral content or the hardness of a tooth’s enamel. However, it is strongly recommended that you only whiten your teeth under the supervision of a qualified dentist.
- How long do the effects of teeth whitening last?
- The effects usually last anywhere from six to twenty-four months depending on your lifestyle. Staying away from foods and beverages that stain the teeth will help to prolong the effects of tooth whitening.
- Should I choose an in-office tooth whitening treatment or an at-home tooth whitening kit?
- It depends on your lifestyle. Both methods are effective for achieving whiter teeth. The benefit of in-office whitening treatments is that they can be completed in a little over an hour and achieve immediate results. At-home whitening kits take longer to achieve the desired effect but can be used over and over to maintain whiter teeth. Once the trays are purchased, the only expense involved is the bleaching solution that goes into the trays.
- Does tooth whitening cause tooth sensitivity?
- Tooth whitening can cause sensitivity in some patients. The risk varies with the concentration and amount of contact with the whitening solution. If it does occur, it usually last no more than one to four days. Your dentist may prescribe desensitizing gel or toothpaste to help with this problem.
- Is the cost of tooth whitening covered under dental insurance?
- No, the cost of tooth whitening is not typically covered by dental insurance.
- Can I finance the cost of teeth whitening?
- Some dental practices, including Prime Dental Care, offer in-house payment plans as well as flexible payment options to help with the cost of procedures that are not covered under dental insurance plans.
- Am I A Candidate for Tooth Whitening?
- Most patients are a candidate and can benefit from tooth whitening, however, to find out if you are a candidate, schedule a consultation with a dentist that offers tooth whitening services.
For more information about the available tooth whitening solutions and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure, schedule a consultation with Dr. Ma of Prime Dental Care. We look forward to getting to know you and to helping you achieve your best smile.